Discover Your Island


Frequently asked questions

If I make a referral to I-CARE will the student get in trouble?

NO! A referral to I-CARE does not mean that a student is in any kind of trouble. We are here to provide support and early intervention.

What happens after a referral is made?

After a student is referred to I-CARE, one of several things may happen (depending on the severity of the situation). Additional information will be obtained (if possible) and other campus offices involved as needed. The I-CARE team will discuss possible intervention strategies and develop a course of action that takes into consideration the best interest of the student and the University community. 

Possible outcomes for students referred to I-CARE include but are not limited to:

  • No current action needed-continue to observe – in mild, isolated incidents, it may be determined that no action is necessary at this time. In the event that the I-CARE team receives additional information regarding the same student, then outreach may be appropriate. An example of this would be if we received one isolated incident report from a professor about a student who has not been attending class regularly and appears to be “sad.”
  • Guided intervention by the reporting party – the student may have a trusting relationship with you, and students are more likely to act on a referral when it comes from someone they know personally. For this reason, we may recommend that you have a conversation with the student in order to inform them of available resources. After the report is made we might ask that you follow-up with the student to make sure that they feel supported. Please keep in mind that you can walk a student over to the Counseling Center in the Driftwood building at any time during normal business hours. After hours, you may contact the Counselor on Duty at 361-825-2703. 
  • Contact made with student by the I-CARE Case Manager– to discuss and/or refer the student to available campus resources (University Counseling Center, Disability Services, etc.) or off-campus resources if appropriate. The I-CARE Case Manager will provide outreach, support, and early intervention.
  • Student Success Plan- the I-CARE Case Manager may also meet with the student to develop a Student Success Plan (SSP) in order to address the student's needs.
  • Success Plan for Re-enrollment-when withdrawal is the best option for the student, the student and I-CARE Case Manager will develop a Success Plan for Re-enrollment, which will include steps to submit the withdrawal paperwork and describe what to do when the student is ready to re-enoll in the University.
  • Mandated Assessment-In some cases conditions may be placed on the student’s ability to stay at the University, and a mandated assessment at our University Counseling Center may be required.
  • Referral to the Dean of Students- for assistance.
  • Contacting parents or emergency contacts- in the case of an emergency or when the safety of the student and/or campus community is at risk parental notification may be necessary.
  • Immediate Action-MCOT (Mobile Crisis Outreach Team of Nueces County) for cases involving a mental health crisis, and or UPD intervention. 
  • Referral to the Vice President for Student Engagement and Success – for severe cases; after further investigation, the VPSA will then decide the most appropriate action for the student (Immediate Suspension, Withdrawal, etc.)

It may be determined that the most appropriate course of action involves a combination of two or more of the possible outcomes listed above. In the event that the I-CARE team receives additional reports regarding the same student, then additional action may be taken.

Will I be notified of the outcome?

The I-CARE Case Manager will follow-up with you within 24 hours to confirm that your referral has been received and to gather more information if necessary. You may not necessarily be informed of the outcome. Be sure, however, to follow-up with the student after the referral is made to ask them how they are doing and if they were able to talk with and/or meet with the I-CARE Case Manager for support. This will let the student know that you care and are focused on their success.

What if my student is taking classes online and is a distance education student?

I-CARE accepts and welcomes referrals for distance education students. You would follow the same procedures by submitting an online referral. It would be helpful to let the student know your concerns and that you will be referring them to our office. Be sure and remind them that they are not in any kind of trouble and that we will be reaching out to them in order to get them connected to resources and supports in their area.

Can my referral be anonymous?

Yes, however, we do discourage this. It is helpful to be able to follow-up with the referring party to gather more information and often times to get their support in reaching out to the Student. The I-CARE team will accept anonymous referrals, however, please be aware that this can create an obstacle as far as following up with the student of concern because our ability to investigate becomes limited without access to the referring party.

What if I do not want to tell a student that I referred them to I-CARE?

It is helpful to mention to a student that you are concerned, that they will not be in any kind of trouble, and you want to get them connected with someone that can help. Explain a little bit about our office and that we are here to support students and help get them back on track. Let them know that someone from I-CARE will be reaching out to them and that they are there to help. Letting a student know that you are going to make a referral to the I-CARE office is important and extremely helpful for the Case Manager when trying to make contact and establish rapport. We tend to have better success in getting students supported when they know why we are reaching out to them.

Who gets the I-CARE report when it is submitted online?

The  I-CARE Case Manager and I-CARE Chair receive the report when it is submitted. The I-CARE Case Manager will then follow-up with the reporting party to make sure they have all the information needed to process the referral.

What if there is an emergency?

In the case of an emergency where there is imminent risk/threat to the safety of the student and/or campus community contact UPD immediately at 361-825-4444 or ext.4444 from a campus phone. Do not wait. Stop what you are doing and call UPD right away. Afterward, be sure and follow-up with I-CARE by making a report and/or calling 361-825-6219.

What if a student tells me they are having thoughts of suicide?

When a student makes any reference to suicide, threat of suicide, or attempt at suicide, a judgment should be made by a mental health professional about the seriousness of a possible suicidal thought or behavior. Suicide attempts are first and foremost a medical emergency. If danger or suicidal behavior appears imminent: 1) Stay calm and 2) Contact Campus Police at 361-825-4444 or dial 911.

To Save a Life Remember QPR (Question, Persuade, and Refer)

Question the person about suicide
Persuade the person to get help
Refer for help

To learn more about QPR, click here.